Friday, November 23, 2012

The purpose in this blog


The purpose in this blog is not to gain agreement nor stimulate disagreement.  It's true purpose is to encourage pathways and distinctions that allow executives and security practitioners to creatively think differently. 

To the best of my ability I am attempting to apply the laws of complex systems that I've learned, to our pressing challenges in cyber security.   Many like me who have been trained in complex systems thinking are currently working on predicting the weather, the migratory patterns of animal herds, Neuroscience or the mass movement of financial markets.


My major hypothesis is that complex systems thinking is applicable to cyber defense.
You see, "different isn't always better but better is always different."  Agreed?
My hypothesis further includes my belief that in order to change the current offensive and defensive reactionary game being played in cyberspace, we need to subvert the dominant cyber paradigm.

The term paradigm was first introduced into our vocabulary by Thomas Kuhn in his 1962 book "The Structure of Scientific Revolution". The book should constitute mandatory reading for all cyber professionals.
Essentially Thomas Kuhn defines the term paradigm as those beliefs about any subject which will never be questioned as to their truthfulness.  I'm talking here about commonly accepted facts.

In my next entry I'll talk about the nature of the reactive games currently ongoing in cyberspace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment